Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baking Challenge - June '10

It's time again for another Martha Stewart baking challenge. This month we have the Stone-Fruit Trifle with Lemon Mousse.



According to Wikipedia:
A trifle is a dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake, fruit juice or, more recently, gelatin, and whipped cream. These ingredients are usually arranged in layers with fruit and sponge on the bottom, and custard and cream on top.
So we have three components to make for this dessert - the lemon mousse, the cooked peaches and the cake.

The lemon mousse was simple to whip up and definitely the most delicious part of the whole dessert.

Then the peaches - AAH!  Those suckers are so annoying the pit and slice.  After getting annoyed with them for this dessert and struggling with a peach dessert last summer, I am vowing to only use canned or frozen peaches from now on.  I know, I know, it's terrible - but so are those peaches!!!  Anyway, toss your peaches with a bit of sugar and roast them:


If you have leftover cake or scraps, those would be great.  You can also be really ambitious and bake a cake.  Or you can be like me and pick one up from the grocery store :)



Once you have all three elements, you just start layering! I don't have a pretty footed trifle dish, so I just used a glass bowl.


Mmm, mmm.  The lemon mousse was definitely the star.  This is such an amazing summer dessert - on it's own, with any kind of cake, with any fruit (i bet blueberries would be so good!).  If you don't want to make this exact dessert, make the mousse and serve/eat it however you desire.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Oh man this looks good! I really want to try this. It would be the perfect dessert in this hot climate. My hubby loves lemon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!!! Lemon and peaches is a very summery combination...I might have to try this out soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious!!! Great summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious, Heather! I could actually make this ~ I'd just have to make the cake with the new gluten free cake mix by Betty Crocker. I can just imagine it with blueberries or strawberries! This is a great summer dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Heather, this recipe looks DIVINE! I will definitely be trying this very soon! Thanks for sharing! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, this looks so good!! Lemon mousse - oh be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fabulous.......and we all know Martha knows her stuff when it comes to baking...
    Visiting you from The Pink Preppy Lilly Lover, my bestie Trish!
    Nice to meet you! I am sending you some sunshine kisses from the shores of The Mississippi Gulf Coast~just ignore that oil smells that comes with it, we are working hard on that little issue!
    Come by and visit me at the swing won't you?
    www.bumpkinonaswing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...