Blackberry Cloud-Cake with Pistachios - another overly ambitious, silly dessert from the Martha Stewart Kitchens.
Let me first point out two things:
1. I always struggle with whipping egg whites into stiff peaks.
2. I have yet to make a successful jelly roll.
I decided to skip preparing the berries for the garnish.
I whisked and whisked those eggs and could not get those stiff peaks, so I gave up and finished my batter anyway. And poured it into the pan:
Wow, that filled up the pan completely!!
With six minutes left to bake, the cake looked like it was about to explode in my oven.
Exhibit A - you can see the cracks
Exhibit B - you can see the cake going over the edge.
After all this drama, I kept on going and made the mousse - uneventful.
Then I flipped out the cake.
a bit weird looking; sticky, too
I spooned on the mousse and rolled it up:
What a work of art!
And then had a slice
what is that strange gelatinous looking layer?
It didn't taste too great and it was so ugly - I just dumped it. Disaster averted.
I started this challenge almost two years ago in order to try out new recipes, techniques and tools; and I've learned some things along the way.
- I really like making cookies, brownies and cupcakes.
- I don't like working with fruit.
- I don't like whipping egg whites.
- I don't like making "fancy" desserts.
- I made up this whole challenge and I can change the rules whenever I want!