Monday, March 15, 2010

Cross Stitching Series - Personalizing

Welcome to Part 5 of the cross stitching series. If you missed Parts 1, 2, 3 or 4 click below.

1) Selecting a Kit
2) Prepping your Kit
3) The Stitches and following a pattern
4) Outlines (back stitch) and Details
5) Personalizing a kit
6) Finishing and Framing

I always like to add something to my kits to make them more special and personal.

In order to make my turtle hooded towel extra special and cute, I stitched my cousin's name onto it.
Photobucket

I found an alphabet template from an old kit to make the letters.

I also made a towel for his little sister this past week.

Photobucket

I used a girlier font on hers.  It is centered on the hood but it is off from the lion - bah!!
Photobucket

It's also nice, especially on a design that will be framed, to add your initials and or date in the corner of the design.  It's very easy to add your initials in a simple back-stitch.

There are also ways to add some sparkle and texture to your design.  You can find metallic and sparkly filaments at the craft store in the needle-craft aisle.  You can either add these to or substitute them for colors in your design.  They are so pretty.  I used light blue to make a twinkly sky once and white makes snow look amazing.

Beads and other charms also make great embellishments.  You can attach them while you are working your cross-stitches so that they are very secure.  Just use anything you find pretty and inspiring and I'm sure you can find a way to incorporate it!!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I don't have the patience for it but I certainly admire those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute, Heather! I love the way these turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...