It all started with this old project that I did over two years ago. I fell in love with some art work in the Ballard catalog and decided to recreate it myself ( I saved almost $500, btw). I've been getting a little tired of it recently and decided that since the colors wouldn't work with what I have planned for the new house, it would be fun to give it a makeover.
I've been a wee bit obsessed with chevrons for awhile now and it was time to act on it. I started out by covering the entire canvas with some cheap white craft paint I had lying around. One coat still had a lot of the old painting showing through.
I gave it two more coats with metallic pearl craft paint. Still showing through, but not as bad.
The hardest part of this project by far was trying to get the chevron pattern laid out in painters tape. This is failed attempt #1.
I think this is failed attempt #2. I had the concept right, but I realized I needed to start measuring from the center and not the the ends. You can see in both attempts that I used a scrap piece of tape to space out my lines evenly (which worked great). Also, I used 2 inch wide tape.
After I finally got all my diagonals right, I very carefully starting removing the excess tape with a craft knife. I'm very comfortable with a craft knife, so be careful when working with one - you need to use just the right amount of pressure to cut the tape but not the canvas. And always use a fresh blade.
Once I started painting I was on a roll (and my hubby called me) so I was a bit distracted and forgot a photo. But here she is and I just love her! The canvas turned out exactly as I had pictured in my head and I am so happy with it. I can still see some of the blue peeking through, but I'm hoping that people who don't know it is there don't really notice.
And now it is hanging back up over our bed until we move. Not 100% sure were it will go in the new house, but I am leaning towards the hall/guest bathroom.
Paint I had on hand
Metallic Pearl by Folk Art
Metallic Taupe by Folk Art
Total Cost = $6.29
( I was out of painter's tape)