Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmas Plaques

WARNING!WARNING!
My family is NOT ALLOWED to click "Read More..."
everyone else, please continue

This all started when I bought my cricut in October.  I thought it was the coolest thing and I knew that I could do so much with it, but I had to start thinking of ideas...and then this project was born.

I needed to find wood pieces, cheap, since I made 16 of these.
These puzzles were $1 each in the front aisle at Michaels - perfect!
Photobucket


The raised edges eliminated my need to make a frame by taping off the edges.
Photobucket


To start, they got a light sanding and a coat of Folk Art Metallic Pearl White Paint.
Photobucket


Half got a red border {folk art metallic red} and half a green{dazzling metallics emerald green - this color is amazingly pretty}.
Photobucket

 

Next, it was cricut time.  I used the Christmas Cheer cartridge to cut out these reindeer
Photobucket
Can you see vixen's eyelashes?


I also cut out the nine reindeer names using the Alphalicious cartridge, and glued them on with mod-podge.
Photobucket


Each plaque got a ribbon border.  I used elmer's, but ended up doing touch-ups with mod-podge - I should have started with that.  I needed to tape down the ribbon while it dried.
Photobucket


There was quite a bit of white space, so I added some stickers.  Rudolph also got a red rhinestone nose.
Photobucket


To personalize them a bit, I stamped "Christmas 2009" and signed my name to each.
Photobucket


Handmade gifts need special wrapping.  I got clear candy bags and flipped them inside out to fit the plaques better.  Tinsel on the bottom cushions the plaque and adds sparkle.  Each bag is tied with curling ribbon, a gift tag, and a snowflake ornament.
Photobucket


I made the tags using the Tags, Bags, Boxes and More cartridge.  I used old file folders and a gold stamp pad to distress the edges.
Photobucket


All 16 done!  {there are only 15 in the pic b.c I made one for myself}
Photobucket


Not counting materials I already had and reusable tools, these cost less than $3.00 each.

 

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Are you kidding??? You are amazing and talented! I love them!

    Good luck with your Thanksgiving feast...it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this...wish I was on your Guest list!! They are absolutely adorable and I love how you wrapped them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute and very creative! The puzzles aren't even half bad for $1.00, but you really made them into something special. The wrapping is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so sweet! I love the wrapping too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so very creative...and absolutely darling! Makes me yearn for the Cricut even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My! I love them what a lovely gift. I know everyone will love them! They are so professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift! And the wrapping sets it off. Great idea and presentation. They will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So adorable!!! What a beautiful job you did with the wrapping too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an imagination. These are adorable.
    @cheapchichome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...